
1. I chose “To My Dear and Loving Husband” because it was simplistic, yet cleverly inconsistent and serves as a perfect example for my dilemma with this “humanistic” codependent housewife. It showed Anne Bradstreet’s unconditional love for her husband and her unhealthy desperation to hold on to him. I’m confused by her language (phraseology). I feel as if she is a walking contradiction and it more than shows in her writing. Why even mention material things when she will just dismiss it by mentioning God and rhetorical Puritan belief? I understand she was afraid, but then she isn’t being true to her “personal” beliefs. She puts on this façade of an independent pre-feminism feminist that treasures her worldly pleasures, but suffocates it by throwing in a smidgen of dogma and her reliance to her seemingly transparent husband. Why even bother, Anne? You are sure no Madame Bovary.
2. Dear Diary,
I’ve been abandoned, yet again, by my wonderful husband. I was left alone to tend to the children and slave over house work, but I’ve found time to write in my diary. Over the years this diary has become a testament to my troubled life as a religious anarchist in the midst of fanatical communists in a patriarchal society. Oh, woe is me! How shall I live amongst misogynist and bible thumping plain folk? Secretly I hold dear to me my worldly possessions, especially you, dear ol’ diary of mine. When I die I hope I will rejoice with you and only you. I love you diary!
P.S.
I love God and stuff!
I’ve been abandoned, yet again, by my wonderful husband. I was left alone to tend to the children and slave over house work, but I’ve found time to write in my diary. Over the years this diary has become a testament to my troubled life as a religious anarchist in the midst of fanatical communists in a patriarchal society. Oh, woe is me! How shall I live amongst misogynist and bible thumping plain folk? Secretly I hold dear to me my worldly possessions, especially you, dear ol’ diary of mine. When I die I hope I will rejoice with you and only you. I love you diary!
P.S.
I love God and stuff!
3. Well, since I don’t believe Anne Bradstreet had any effect on the women’s movement then I can’t compare it to one of her poems. But I will allow her some credit of pushing forward the publication of women authors, which in no way relates to the women’s movement. I will not give you that satisfaction.
However, this cartoon depicts women’s suffrage and mirrors the instant climax of women’s rights and roles in modern day America. This could possibly have regressed since then, but hopefully will bounce back up as time passes without the help of Anne Bradstreet and friends.
However, this cartoon depicts women’s suffrage and mirrors the instant climax of women’s rights and roles in modern day America. This could possibly have regressed since then, but hopefully will bounce back up as time passes without the help of Anne Bradstreet and friends.
Very clever GC - I appreciate your sardonic tone. If you could please revisit the topic sentence for the political cartoon analysis so that it is not a detail but a statement of the general argument. See me please.
ReplyDelete